I saw the Sunshine Blog posts floating around on Twitter a few weeks ago and I truly enjoyed reading and learning about other educators’ lives. I believe it is very important for us to share who we are outside of our roles as often as we can. I find that I share a lot about who I am with my students and it has only strengthened our bond in the classroom. With that being said, I was very excited to find myself a nominee this week and so without further ado… here is my Sunshine Blog post:
Here is how it works:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
My Nominating Blogger
My nominating blogger is the incredible Megan Valois. We “met” while moderating #cdnedchat a few months ago and have quickly become close friends. Megan is dedicated, passionate and fiercely smart. I am honoured to know her and have the pleasure of having thought-provoking discussions with her every week. We also share a love for German Shepherds…which only made our friendship just that much stronger!
11 Random Facts About Me
1. My two loves are my 10 year old cat Finnigan and my 8 month old German Shepherd/Border Collie Grayson. They are my absolute everything.
2. I’m an extrovert. I draw my energy from crowds and people. I light up when I’m in the city surrounded by people, noise and activity.
3. I’m a runner.
4. I love food in all forms and believe it is best had with others.
5. Prior to teaching, I was Corporate and Internal Communications Manager for Chrysler Canada. I had the privilege of organizing auto shows, communicating with national and international media and facilitating employee communication and events.
6. I’m an eternal optimist. I believe in the good in everything and everyone …always.
7. Coffee is a necessity.
8. My educational background is in journalism & media studies. My BA in Communications provided me with an incredible foundation for life.
9. I’m a city-girl through and through but I currently live in the country.
10. My favourite band is City & Colour. I’ve seen them twice in concert and will be seeing them again in May.
11. I’m at my happiest when the sun is shining and the weather is warm. Preferably above 30°C.
11 Questions For Me
1. What’s your favourite thing about blogging or tweeting?
I believe writing has the ability to reach and connect people on many levels. It has always been an outlet for my thoughts for as long as I can remember. I began my career in journalism to have the joy of writing every day for an audience. Blogging encompasses all of this for me.
2. Favourite hobby?
Anything involving movement: running, hiking, walking. I won’t pass up a quiet movie night though!
3. Favourite movie of all time?
I always revert to three when asked this question. They each hold a special place in my heart for completely different reasons. The Sound Of Music, Oliver!, and August Rush.
4. Favourite place you have traveled?
Travel is a big passion of mine. I love exploring new places, having adventures and creating memories. I don’t know that I can just choose one: Beirut, Lebanon, New York City, USA and the idyllic towns of Fussen, Germany and Mondsee, Austria would be high on my list.
5. Favourite Twitter chat?
This was easy. Canada’s Ed Chat of course! #cdnedchat It’s on Monday nights at 8pm EST.
6. Favourite educational website – person or product?
One website both my students and I really enjoy is called The Kid Should See This. Its a random compilation of videos, photos and other amazing life captures.
7. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Teleportation. I miss my family so to be able to instantly be home and back would be perfect.
8. Favourite book you’ve read in 2013?
The one that has resonated the most with me in 2013 has to be the one I read with my students for the Global Read Aloud : Out Of My Mind. It moved me to tears at almost every moment and I like books that evoke emotion.
9. Why teaching?
Teaching is my calling. It found me.
10. Proudest moment?
Persevering through the hard times and growing through adversity.
11. Funniest thing you ever said in front of a group of students/educators?
According to my students, I say funny things all the time, but I just can’t remember them. However I do recall a time where we’ve had the most laughs (at my expense of course) at school; it deals with insects. I cannot even breathe if there is a spider, moth, bee….or anything of the sort around me and my students know this. When teaching grade two once, we had a special guest bee keeper come to school with her bees to share. At one point in the presentation, she proceeded to walk towards me with a bee and I was trying my best to not make a scene so I ended up crawling backwards up stairs, tripped and landed flat on my back. We all couldn’t stop laughing and this made it into my student’s “most memorable event in grade two” booklet.
11 Bloggers I’m Nominating
1. Zoe Bettess
2. Christine Quong
3. Laurel Beaton
4. Kelli Holden
5. Summer Len Diamond
7. Mary Bertram
8. Sean Beaton
9. Cindy Kilpatrick
10. Will Gourley
11. Jennifer Collette
11 Questions For The Nominees
1. Why teaching?
2. Who or what is your greatest inspiration?
3. What is one new thing you have tried this year?
4. What would your ideal day look like?
5. Who was the best teacher you ever had and why?
6. If you could live anywhere in the world other than where you currently live, where would it be?
7. What is something you are looking forward to in 2014?
8. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
9. What is your favourite band or music artist?
10. Why Twitter?
11. Mac or PC? Android or iPhone?